Did you know?
- The ocean covers more than 70 percent of the earth’s surface.
- About 94 percent of the earth’s wildlife is found in the ocean.
- More than 70 percent of the earth’s oxygen is produced by the ocean.
- The sun is what makes the ocean blue.
- The deepest part of the ocean is called the Mariana Trench, which is around 11 Kilometres deep and is located in the South Pacific Ocean.
- Coral creates its own “sunscreen” by producing coral fluoresce that protects the algae found in coral.
- The largest mountain range is found underwater and is called the Mid-Oceanic Ridge that is around 40,390 miles long.
- Ninety percent of the earth’s volcanic activity happens in the ocean.
- It is estimated there are more than 3 million shipwrecks on the ocean floor.
- There are more historic artefacts under the sea than in all of the world’s museums.
- The great barrier reef can be seen from the moon.
Facts - Mental Floss
Photo - 12 Apostles, Great Ocean Road